When fall arrives, one of the highlights of the season high on the list of favorites is Thanksgiving. It’s a day for giving thanks while enjoying favorite menu items. While Tom turkey is the main attraction, there are some side dishes vying for the spotlight.
Capital RV Center can help you have a happy holiday with a new or used recreational vehicle and financing for Class A. B and C rides to travel trailers, fifth wheels and pop-ups. Once you decide, you can plan a menu to include these two delectable delights.
Cheesy Barley Gratin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 3-quart dish
- Boil 2 cups of pearled barley. Drain and rinse.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine 2 cups shredded mozzarella, 1 cup grated Parmesan, and 6 ounces shredded Gruyere.
- Place 1 cup of mixture into the melted butter along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs.
- Melt about 5 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 large chopped onion. Cool until browned. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons thyme. Stir.
- Add 1/4 cup all purpose flour. Stir until slightly pasty. Whisk in 4 cups whole milk and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Simmer and stir.
- Remove from heat. Stir in barley and cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Caramelized Onions
- Saute 4 ounces country ham in hot olive oil 3-5 minutes in a large skillet. Remove and drain.
- Add 2 pounds of fresh sprouts halved and trimmed. Cook 7-8 minutes. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt then move sprouts to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add 2 pounds of thinly sliced yellow onions and cook until browned.
- Add 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 teaspoon cracked brown pepper, 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper.
- Add Brussels sprouts and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly. Heat thoroughly.
- Top with ham and serve.
Stop by our Bismarck center or visit us at our Minot location. We can answer all of your questions and share insights about living the RV lifestyle. Give us a call or just stop by for a look-see.